Social Media & Digital Engagement Specialist
M-F- Full Time, Hourly
Degree in Journalism, Communications or related field;
DUTIES: Contribute to make WTOP.com the leading provider of timely and relevant news and information. Oversee WTOP’s day-to-day engagement efforts with listeners and readers through various social media channels, including Facebook and Twitter, as well as through story comments. Keep a pulse on trending topics and bring them to life on WTOP.com through articles, polls, surveys and more. Examine emerging social platforms and implement those that offer opportunities for the WTOP brand. In addition, continue to grow WTOP’s followers on all social platforms. Manage breaking news across social media platforms. Communicate & collaborate with digital editors, section editors, reporters and broadcast editors.
- 3-5 years social media experience;
- Understanding of social media and its relationship with news consumers, online marketing and Web traffic.
- Experience writing engaging headlines for Facebook and Twitter.
- Ability to engage with social media consumers.
- Experience producing Facebook Live segments.
- Experience creating Instagram stories.
- Experience integrating video/photos into social media posts.
- Experience uploading and managing YouTube videos.
- 3-5 years news experience.
- Proficiency in Photoshop, HTML and audio editing.
- Excellent writing skills under tight deadlines.
- Excellent news judgment.
- Attention to detail with content, including grammar, punctuation and fact-checking, and layout.
- Be part of a team to develop new and innovative content for the Web and on-air.
- Ability to thrive in fast-paced, breaking news situations.
- Flexibility in work schedule.
- Work in compliance with Company policies and procedures.
- Maintain a positive and cooperative rapport with staff, management and clients.
- Project appropriate company image with respect to dress and demeanor.
- Thorough knowledge of news, current events, pop-culture.
- High level of initiative required and the ability to work independently.
- Knowledge of the local radio industry and familiarity with all radio terminology and methodology preferred.
- Valid driver’s license.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: Must be able to perform the essential functions of the job. The Company will make reasonable physical accommodations to facilitate the ability to perform essential job functions.
http://wtop.com/careers Job# 12-17
No Telephone Calls Please- AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER