Job Title: Lead Mainframe Systems Engineer
Location: Washington, DC
Career Band: BDII
Job ID #: 9845
PRINCIPLE ACCOUNTABILITIES: The position is under the direction of the Manager of Mainframe Systems. The incumbent’s accountabilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
Mainframe Infrastructure Subject Area Expert
This position’s primary responsibility is design, support, availability, performance and security of the CareFirst Mainframe infrastructure including:
- Design and configure systems that meet or exceed SLA for availability.
- Install, maintain and support the z/OS Mainframe Operating System and / or any other assigned system software. Monitor and tune to ensure acceptable levels of performance and resource utilization. Ensure software is utilizing all appropriate functions and features. Provide timely and accurate reporting on performance, utilization and feature use as requested.
- Maintain expert level knowledge in several of the following support areas:
o z/OS Operating System
o zSeries Hardware Knowledge
o IBM and EMC Enterprise Storage Systems
o DB2 Database and DB2 Database tools: Optim, Recovery Expert, DB2 Utility Suite, DB2 Administrative Tool, BMC DB2 Tool Suite
o CICS Transaction Server and z/OS Unix for CICS webservice infrastructure
o WebSphere MQ
o ASG’s TMON performance management Product suite
o Computer Associates(CA) Mainframe toolsets including CA1, CA7, TPX Easytrieve, OPS/MVS, Vantage
o Compuware’s Development Tools and Performance management tools
o SAS database reporting tool
o Assembler required to support z/OS, CICS and WebSphere MQ exits
o InfoPrint Server
- Ability to install and/or patch software with SMP/E
- Fluent in TSO, ISPF, JCL and JES2
- Knowledgeable in the Mainframe Security product Resource Access Control Facility (RACF)
- Ability to respond accurately and quickly to Audit Requests such as Service Organization Controls (SOC 1 and SOC 2) Audits and Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) Audits
- Provide 24×7 on call support for all Mainframe infrastructure and systems software. Use available resources to research, resolve and/or recommend solutions for complex and critical systems.
- Design and implement Disaster Recovery Strategy between primary Data Center and Disaster Recovery Site.
- Adhere to standard Service Level Agreements (SLA) for day-to-day support. Ensure that change management process is properly followed for environment changes.
- Provide excellent customer service to all customers, both internal and external. Exhibit professionalism when working with and communicating with our customers and vendors.
- Act as an interface to members of the IT infrastructure team, keeping management and peers informed, and disseminating information as needed. Utilize strong troubleshooting capabilities to diagnose and resolve problems, and escalate to next level support as necessary.
- Work independently and cross functionally with others to resolve problems.
Process and Technical Improvements and Automation
- Implement process and procedures as well as Standard Operating Procedure (SOP) documentation enhancing and standardizing the support of the Mainframe infrastructure.
- Ensure all work complies with established policies, standards, licensing agreements and configuration guidelines.
- Understand and apply new technical skills through a combination of research, instructor lead training and self-training.
- Investigate alternative methods to improve infrastructure or reduce cost.
- Effectively lead complex technical projects to implement major releases or create new environments as necessary.
- Properly follow a project life cycle
- Develop project plans
- Complete all appropriate documentation and notifications in order to obtain completion within the established timeframes without impact
- Provide input to the development of corporate IT standards and policies to ensure compatibility and integration throughout the company
- Complete project work within budget constraints, if they exist
- Stay current in new IT technologies to maintain high level subject matter expertise.
- Provide mentoring and coaching to team members and other technical areas.
- Assist management and provide input to performance plans and reviews.
- Actively train new associates and contractors on CareFirst technologies and operating procedures
- Develop, update and maintain documentation including operation manuals, inventories and Standard Operating Procedures (SOP’s)
- Develop documentation that can be executed by junior team members
Required: This position requires a BA/BS in Computer Science and 7-10 years of experience as a Senior Systems Engineer. Equivalent experience supporting complex and critical IT environments will be evaluated in lieu of these requirements, where applicable.
Specialized skills (Hardware and software):
- Expert level knowledge and experience managing and troubleshooting IBM Mainframe z13 and z114 hardware
- Expert level knowledge managing and troubleshooting IBM Mainframe operating systems z/OS Version 2
- Experience managing and troubleshooting EMC and IBM Storage Systems
- Experience with multiple IBM Mainframe and Independent Software Vendor (ISV) software: DB2, WebSphere MQ, CICS, COBOL, IMS, ASG TMON Suite, DB2 tools, CA products, Compuware products and SAS
- Experience with performance management tool: Strobe or iStrobe
- Experience with the installation and patch management tool SMP/E
- Fluent is TSO, ISPF, JCL, JES2 and RACF
- Experience with planning and executing a Disaster Recovery exercise
- Experience with VTAM – TCP/IP networking protocols on multiple lpars
- Experience with large networks supporting several trading partners
- Experience with SSH, SFTP, FTPS and Connect:Direct file transfer protocols
- Experience with mainframe printing using IBM’s InfoPrint Server products
– Excellent analytical and troubleshooting skills in order to effectively analyze broadly defined practices and policies in selecting methods, techniques, and evaluation criteria to obtain the desired results
– Ability to effectively adapt to rapidly changing technology and apply it to business needs, develop¬ing and delivering IT centric projects using, where appropriate, leading-edge technologies
– Excellent oral and written communications; an ability to present and discuss technical information in an organized, methodical manner that establishes rapport, persuades others, and gains understanding
Note: The incumbent is required to immediately disclose any debarment, exclusion, or other event that makes him/her ineligible to perform work directly or indirectly on Federal health care programs.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to perform the essential duties and responsibilities of the position successfully. Requirements may be modified to accommodate individuals with disabilities.
The employee is primarily seated while performing the duties of the position. Occasional walking or standing is required. The hands are regularly used to write, type, key and handle or feel small controls and objects. The employee must frequently talk and hear. Weights of up to 25 pounds are occasionally lifted.
This position will require twenty four by seven support responsibilities. Incumbents may need to travel among CareFirst’s corporate locations.
Department: System Software Staff
CareFirst BlueCross BlueShield is an Equal Opportunity (EEO) employer. It is the policy of the Company to provide equal employment opportunities to all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran or disabled status, or genetic information.
Actual salary will be based on relevant job experience and work history.
Please visit our website to apply: www.carefirst.com/careers
Must be eligible to work in the U.S. without Sponsorship
Please apply before: 6/5/2017