Job Title: Junior Software Engineer, Federal Employee Program
Location: Reston, VA
Career Band: BDA
Job ID #: 9746
PRINCIPAL ACCOUNTABILITIES: Under the general direction of the FEP System Manager the incumbent’s accountabilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
Senior software engineer developing solutions in an Agile environment. Works collaboratively in the scrum team to deliver sprints on time.
Proactively analyzes and reviews emerging technologies, changes in the Insurance/Healthcare industry and the business functions of various clients, in order to determine if the advanced applications fit the needs of changing strategies, goals and objectives. Develops and maintains technical knowledge through training.
Mentors new or junior staff members on business knowledge, system peculiarities, and complex technical issues.
Travel between all CareFirst locations may be required.
Required: This position requires a BA/BS in computer science or equivalent experience and 8+ years of industry experience developing in object-oriented in object-oriented programming language. Specific requirements include, but not limited to:
• Strong software development skills
• Knowledge of software development best practices (RUP, XP, Agile)
• Excellent experience with object oriented analysis and design patterns/techniques with emphasis on Java/J2EE technology
• Minimum of 5+ years in extensive hands on experience with Java, J2EE, EJB, JSP, JDBC, Hibernate, JMX, JMS, Log4J, AJAX, JSF.
• Wide breadth of knowledge across many Java Open-Source technologies including Ant, Struts, Spring, XML parser technology, SOA based infrastructure, JUnit and HTTPUnit
• Wide breath knowledge of J2EE applications servers (WebSphere, WebLogic, JBoss,…)
• Previous experience with Workflow and Rules Engine
• Excellent application performance tuning and trouble shooting skills
• Experience with RDBMS (preferably DB2)
• Experience with OO analysis and design
• Development with Use Cases
• Experience with Design patterns
• A self-starter and quick learner
Abilities/Skills: Candidates should have experience working with teams and show a propensity in dealing with the user community. Technical expertise with claims, enrollment, sales, marketing, or provider systems preferred. Flexibility is essential to this position (candidates should be willing to learn new technologies, to implement new processes, and to take instruction).
This position will require strong application development and analytical (i.e. trouble shooting) skills, as well as the ability to learn new technologies quickly based on prior experiences with similar tools and an understanding of infrastructure. The candidate must be able to able to work independently, assist team members in their development strategies, prepare report to track progress as required, conduct training, and prepare training materials as required. Good organizational and documentation skills will be essential in ensuring developed source code can be interpreted by other members of the development team. Superior written and verbal communication skills and the ability to present technical terminology to internal clients of all levels and some external vendors will be extremely helpful in moving any and all projects forward.
Note: The incumbent is required to immediately disclose any debarment, exclusion, or other event that makes him/her ineligible to perform work directly or indirectly on Federal health care programs.
The associate is primarily seated while performing the duties of the position. Occasional walking or standing is required. The hands are regularly used to write, type, key and handle or feel small controls and objects. The associate must frequently talk and hear. Weights up to 25 pounds are occasionally lifted.
Department: NextGen IT Systems
CareFirst BlueCross BlueShield is an Equal Opportunity (EEO) employer. It is the policy of the Company to provide equal employment opportunities to all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran or disabled status, or genetic information.
Actual salary will be based on relevant job experience and work history.
Please visit our website to apply: http://www.carefirst.com/careers
Must be eligible to work in the U.S. without Sponsorship
Please apply before: 5/4/2017