ARLINGTON COUNTY, VIRGINIA
ASSISTANT DEPUTY TREASURER FOR TAX COLLECTION
Office of the Treasurer
Salary Range: $62,358.40 – $95,284.80 Annually
Closing Date: April 12, 2017
An Equal Opportunity Employer/Reasonable Accommodation upon Request
Work Location: 2100 Clarendon Blvd., Arlington *METRO-accessible*
This position reports directly to the Deputy Treasurer for Compliance who is appointed by and reports directly to the Treasurer, an elected official accountable to the citizens of Arlington County. The Assistant Deputy Treasurer for Tax Collection assists the Deputy by providing leadership to the Compliance staff, managing the daily operations of the Compliance Division, leading special projects and achieving the revenue collection goals set forth. This position will collect all delinquent taxes, court fines and other revenues due to Arlington County. The Assistant Deputy Treasurer for Tax Collection ensures the smooth operation within the Compliance Division, including a call center which handles over 50,000 calls per year, an enforcement team which issues over 7,000 liens/seizures per year and initiates over 1,000 motions for judgment per year.
MAJOR RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE:
Manage daily operations of Compliance Division
- Oversee performance of 24 employees (21 full-time, 3 part-time).
- Directly manage team leaders, outreach officer and business analyst.
- Identify training issues and assist team leaders to design and implement training.
- Oversee with hiring, disciplinary and termination recommendations for the division.
- Monitor operations of the division.
Oversee collection and enforcement procedures
- Ensure collection and enforcement procedures to adhere with State Code and County Ordinances.
- Monitor and evaluate overall effectiveness and recommend program, system, organizational or resource changes when necessary.
- Manage the overall collection and enforcement processes to achieve the lowest possible level of delinquency and meet annual goals.
Implement goals and objectives for Compliance Division
- Assist the Deputy Treasurer in setting delinquency rate expectations.
- Assist the Deputy Treasurer in developing and monitoring individual work unit goals throughout the division.
- Assist the Deputy Treasurer in developing and monitoring the Compliance Division budget and workload measures for the County and State Compensation Board budgets.
Prepare and Analyze Reports
- Prepare delinquency and collection reports.
- Develop reports as needed.
- Ensure the quality and accuracy of reports prepared by Compliance staff.
- Assist the Deputy in preparing all reports required of the division, including but not limited to: statistics for the annual budget, internal Treasurer’s Office reports, reports to the County Board, reports to other County departments, reports to State agencies, and reports for inclusion in publications for citizens.
OTHER DUTIES INCLUDE:
- Assume the duties and responsibilities of the Deputy Treasurer for Compliance when the Deputy is absent.
- Select and oversee the work of vendors including but not limited to outside collection agencies, tax software vendor, parking ticket software vendor and print vendor.
- Represent the Compliance Division on specials projects.
- Respond to inquiries from citizens, other county agencies and staff.
Minimum: Bachelor’s degree required, plus experience in general management, working with complex computer systems, handling personnel issues, public contact, and communications.
Substitution: Additional qualifying experience may be substituted for the education requirement on a year-for-year basis.
Desirable: Preference may be given to candidates with significant experience in one or more of the following:
- a) Monitoring the work of professional and clerical staff.
- b) Collection of local government revenue.
The objective of the Compliance Division is to pursue unpaid county debt (taxes, parking tickets and debts to other county agencies), as well as delinquent court fines, fees and restitution owed to Arlington and Falls Church City courts. The division is comprised of two functional areas: Collections and Enforcement.
The Collections area is structured as a call center. The primary responsibility of the Collections area is providing telephone and face-to-face customer service. This service includes answering questions about customer accounts, skip tracing, contacting debtors; performing research as needed and referring customers to other Treasurer’s Office staff members, the Department of Real Estate Assessments, or other County or State agencies as needed. The collectors are also tasked with searching for assets belonging to delinquent taxpayers and referring the accounts to the Enforcement section when assets are identified.
The Enforcement section is responsible for taking legal actions against debtors to obtain payment. Their activity includes: issuing third party liens to financial institutions and employers, effecting seizures against physical assets (vehicles and tangible property), liquidating seized assets at public auction, seeking judgment from Arlington County General District court and managing Set-Off Debt submissions to the Department of Taxation.
To Apply: Please send completed application, cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org; use subject line “Assistant Deputy Treasurer for Tax Collection.” Each section of the application must be completed. The resume does not substitute for the completed application.
The examination for this position may include one or more of the following: (1) evaluation of training and experience; (2) written and oral examination; (3) performance test; (4) personal interview; and (5) physical examination.
Applicants with disabilities may request reasonable accommodation during the selection process. Please call 703-228-0591 (voice) or 703-228-4613 (TTY).
Competitive benefits and salary commensurate with education and experience. Salary range $62,358.40 – $95,284.80.
For immediate hire; closing date April 12, 2017. Open until filled. Intake of applications on-going. Interviews scheduled on-going. Not everyone who applies will receive an interview.