Job Title: Data Warehouse Engineer
Location: Washington, DC
Career Band: BDB
Job ID #: 9635
PRINCIPLE ACCOUNTABILITIES: Under the direction of the Manager the incumbent is responsible for, but are not limited to, the following:
Software Design, Development
- Assists in designing and defining core reusable assets that support the long-term business strategy for development efforts.
- Participates in design and solution reviews to ensure adherence to performance guidelines & business requirements.
- Code to CareFirst specifications and ensure proper unit testing is done for all code.
- Look for standardization and reuse opportunities, abstractions and patterns across classes and components to streamline design and development of BI solutions.
- With knowledge of the organization’s infrastructure, hardware, systems software and protocols, act as a consultative resource for strategy, system design, development and/or modifications of software/procedures to solve business solutions across multiple heterogeneous platforms.
- Support the solution design and solution review to ensure the technical architecture design meets the technical objectives, business requirements, and standards.
- Assists in ensuring applications are designed for optimum performance and provide suggestions for ways to restructure designs to achieve optimal performance.
- Assists in design, develop, test and implement maintainable program logic for existing and new application in accordance with the technical specifications.
Software Integration Testing
- Assists in software development and enterprise integration testing, system (end to end) testing, and problem resolution related to business applications and/or related middleware components.
- Verifies that the Business Requirements as defined in the Project Requirements Document are tested end to end throughout the D&I systems (ODS / EDM / SBI / CBI) .
- Ensures planning phases include non functional requirements for error handling, service level agreements, capacity planning, and that proper test cases are created.
- Utilizes HP Application Life Cycle Management toolset (ALM) to record all defects that are discovered during testing and corrected before the final closure of the project.
- Coordinate with the enterprise auditing teams as well as external audit requests. This includes tracking all D&I reviews for the fiscal year and participate in all audits with proper D&I project teams: TOS Audit Coordination, CareFirst Corporate Audit Services,and Financial Accounting
- Ensures all action items are performed by the appropriate D&I team and expectations are met for corporate audit.
Day to Day Support
- Monitors D&I workflows and ensure all jobs complete successfully in the production and test environments and that data is available for all dependent downstream jobs and consumers.
- Monitors Tibco Business Works D&I applications and queues in the production and test environments and ensure that data is available for all dependent downstream jobs and consumers.
- Monitors all file feeds that come into D&I and work with the vendors to handle any file issues such as late files, zero byte files, corrupt files, etc.
- Responds to any major system failures or outages and work with the appropriate support groups (Unix, Network, Informatica, Tibco, Facets, etc.) to return all systems to steady state processing.
- Addresses Magic tickets (OneStop as of 8/2) for issues reported by end users and the Help Desk.
- Maintains current support contact information for each job. This is currently stored in the Magic database for each JCL job as well as in the team’s Application Support List (see Key Documentation).
- Completes analysis, design, development, testing, and deployment of bug fixes as issues are identified.
- Identifies recurring causes for defects and work with the Development and ABC Teams to address these during the development and validation process.
- Works with DGS and business users to define requirements for the change requested.
- Completes analysis, design, development, testing, and deployment per the specifications of a project.
- Maintains proper documentation for the changes going into Production. These should be included in the Production Support document.
- Ensures that all jobs are scheduled utilizing job control language (JCL) and that Z/os Mainframe (ZMF) packages are created per deployment procedures for each application.
- Develops and maintains Disaster Recovery plans for all supported D&I platforms.
- Participate in the yearly Disaster Recovery exercise and run any needed test cases to demonstrate the effectiveness of our Disaster Recovery plans and processes.
- Works with Information Security to ensure that proper roles are created for all supported systems.
- BA/BS in Computer Science, Engineering, Math, Acturial Science, Information Systems, or other related IT field or equvlent work experience
- 1-3 years of experience with database management systems, ETL systems, business intelligence tools, defect management, and testing.
Required Skills and Abilities:
Demonstrated expertise in numerous technologies with skills ranging with one or more of the following:
- Logical and physical data model design; technical documentation; full-cycle system development, test case creation, audit balance and control metrics, relational and dimensional database systems;
- Web-enabling applications; Java technologies (EJB, JSP, servlet), J2EE Web Service Development, Unix development, SQL Development (PL/SQL or T-SQL), 1+ Years’ Experience with SSIS, SSRS, SSAS or SAS or MicroStrategy or Pryamid Analytics, OLAP Dimensional development, Data Warehousing, Master Data Management (MDM), Customer Data Integration (CDI), IBM Initiate, Oracle, Informatica (9.5.1 or higher) PowerExchange, Informatica Power Center, Tibco, C#, .N
- Some Healthcare experience
- Familiarity with new technologies and how they could be leveraged to benefit the department, new business strategies and corporate initiatives
- Some knowledge of Big Data Technologies.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an associate to perform the essential duties and responsibilities of the position successfully. Requirements may be modified to accommodate individuals with disabilities.
The associate is primarily seated while performing the duties of the position. Occasional walking or standing is required. The hands are regularly used to write, type, key and handle or feel small controls and objects. The associate must frequently talk and hear. Weights of up to 10 pounds are occasionally lifted.
Department: Operational Data Store / Extract Transform and Load Team
CareFirst BlueCross BlueShield is an Equal Opportunity (EEO) employer. It is the policy of the Company to provide equal employment opportunities to all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran or disabled status, or genetic information.
Actual salary will be based on relevant job experience and work history.
Note: The incumbent is required to immediately disclose any debarment, exclusion, or other event that makes him/her ineligible to perform work directly or indirectly on Federal health care programs.
Must be eligible to work in the U.S. without Sponsorship
Please visit our website to apply: www.carefirst.com/careers