Director of Research and Development (Arlington, VA)
At Galois, Director of R&D is a role, not a job title, and we don’t call it Director of R&D anyhow. Flummoxed? Read on…
We’re looking for someone to contribute both as an Engineering Councilor and as a Senior Technical Project Lead. What you’d do as a Councilor depends on where your skills and interests are strongest. Responsibilities held by particular Councilors include mentoring other project leads, leading recruiting and hiring efforts, forecasting and tracking our service-based revenue, providing a guiding hand to engineers’ professional development and career growth, overseeing shared technical infrastructure, facilitating effective matches between projects and contributors, leading new initiatives, and helping with the day-to-day issues of a 40+ person (and growing!) technical team.
When leading projects, you’ll be accountable for all aspects of successful project execution, including:
- Ensuring the team is producing world-class results that delight the client.
- Planning all aspects of the project, and coordinating all project activities.
- Mentoring team members, nurturing the team, and facilitating effective workflows.
- Staffing the project with Galois engineers and researchers, interns, and contractors.
- Communicating project status, issues, and results to the client and as an internal advocate, via presentations, written reports, and conversations.
- Collaborating with other project leads to address company-wide concerns.
To be effective in these roles, you’ll need a strong background in computer science as well as a passion for leading high-performing technical teams.
For a bit more about what it’s like to work in engineering leadership roles at Galois, see this blog post.
At a minimum, the successful candidate will have
- At least a Bachelors Degree in computer science.
- At least 5 years of experience managing innovative, successful software development projects.
Preference will be given to candidates that have
- Experience in a Director of R&D position, Director of Engineering position, or similar.
- At least a Masters Degree in computer science.
- Significant direct experience with high assurance systems, service-oriented architectures, and/or security products, in both commercial and government domains.