Job Title: Intern
Location: Washington, DC
Career Band: BDII
Job ID #: 9607
CareFirst runs a year round internship program. The ideal/preferred candidate should be able to work throughout the academic year: Fall 12-20 hours/week and Spring up 12-20 hours/week and up to 40 hours during the summer.
Under the supervision of a development manager, the selected candidate will intern as a team member working with full-stack, enterprise java technologies. This position will provide the opportunity to learn and experience modern software development practices and technologies. The selectee will work closely with experienced software engineers, and will primarily focus on a single project which will benefit both the software engineer and the CareFirst organization.
- Candidate will be a development team member working on full-lifecycle, scrum-team development tasks
- Candidate will learn and gain familiarity with Enterprise Java technologies and development practices
- Candidate will gain familiarity with the CareFirst organization and business
- Major in Computer Science
- Experience and interest in Enterprise Java development
- Experience using modern IDEs such as Eclipse
- Some familiarity with JDBC and SQL
- Excellent troubleshooting, analytical and problem solving skills
- Positive attitude, self-starter mentality, and ability to be a team player
- An interest in gaining real-world experience using full-stack Enterprise Java technologies, including
- Open source Frameworks such as Spring MVC, Spring Batch, Spring Boot, Hibernate, MyBatis
- UI frameworks such as JQuery, AJAX, and AngularJS
- RESTful and SOAP web services
- DevOps technologies, including Jenkins, Maven, Git
- Automated testing using Junit, Cucumber/Gherkin
- AIX and WebSphere
CareFirst BlueCross BlueShield is an Equal Opportunity (EEO) employer. It is the policy of the Company to provide equal employment opportunities to all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran or disabled status, or genetic information.
The hire range posted is an annual rate. All intern positions will be paid hourly.
Note: The incumbent is required to immediately disclose any debarment, exclusion, or other event that makes him/her ineligible to perform work directly or indirectly on Federal health care programs.
The associate is primarily seated while performing the duties of the position. Occasional walking or standing is required. The hands are regularly used to write, type, key and handle or feel small controls and objects. The associate must frequently talk and hear. Weights up to 25 pounds are occasionally lifted.
Must be eligible to work in the U.S. without Sponsorship
Please visit our website to apply: www.carefirst.com/careers
Please apply before: 3/30/2017