The official title of this position is Administrative Assistant V.
Position Information: Arlington County’s Department of Parks and Recreation (DPR) is seeking an experienced administrative assistant to provide excellent customer service and perform as a member of a work team in the registration unit that provides a broad range of services to both internal staff and the public in a fast-paced work environment. The unit serves a diverse citizen population with a high volume of walk-in and telephone customers including customers with limited English and provides information, referral, and registration services to support the wide-range of programs offered by DPR.
Specific duties include:
- Providing in-person and telephone assistance to citizens who are interested in classes, workshops, special events, camp offerings, programs, and facility scheduling;
- Accepting applications and processing payments;
- Entering a large volume of data into the automated registration and scheduling system;
- Managing the data and compiling specialized reports for staff;
- Maintaining and updating wait lists using a variety of software systems including Microsoft Word and Excel;
- Providing information and assistance to customers about fee and payment options, alternative classes/camps for eligible applicants;
- Compiling participant records to ensure all required documents are available prior to the start of camps/classes;
- Maintaining all files and records; and
- Fulfilling administrative requests that range from mailing bills to creating complex excel spreadsheets
The ideal candidate will possess strong communication skills, have the ability to multi-task and pay attention to details, and be experienced with performing successfully as part of a team. Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite functions (or similar software) with a high degree of accuracy for the preparation and maintenance of high volume data and for the creation of other correspondence and reports is essential.
NOTE: In addition to the position listed above, a part-time, thirty (30) hours per week position is also available in the Department of Human Services to serve as primary administrative support to the Medical Director and the Psychiatric Services Bureau in the Behavioral Health Care Division. They are seeking an experienced candidate with strong proofreading and editing skills to accurately perform data entry and utilize Microsoft Office Suite Word and Excel to compose correspondence, reports, spreadsheets and other confidential documents. Employee will also provide financial and purchasing support and back-up receptionist duties. This is a non-bilingual position. Minimum requirements are the same as position above except for English/Spanish proficiency. Location: 2120 Washington Blvd., 3rd Floor, Arlington, VA. Hours are from 8:30 a.m. – 3:30 p.m.
Selection Criteria- ONLY APPLICANTS WHO ARE PROFICIENT IN SPEAKING AND UNDERSTANDING ENGLISH/SPANISH WILL BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION.
Minimum: Completion of the requirements for graduation from a standard senior high school or vocational school, a GED certificate, or the equivalent, plus two and one-half years of progressively responsible administrative support experience which may have included: data entry, scheduling, registration, and customer service, plus computer experience using a variety of software applications to produce correspondence, reports and statistical data.
Substitution: Successful completion of college coursework from an accredited college or university can be substituted for the experience requirement on the following basis: two (2) years = six (6) months of experience. Education may not substitute for more than one year of experience.
Desirable: Preference may be given to candidates with experience in one or more of the following:
- Intermediate to Advanced Microsoft Excel functions;
- Working in a call center or registration environment;
- Using a registration computerized information system;
- Working with a diverse population;
- Extensive experience managing large amounts of data; and/or
- Graphic design experience in order to produce fliers and other documents.
- NOTE: This position may be used to fill other comparable administrative support vacancies (both bilingual and non-bilingual) within other departments of Arlington County.
Work hours: This is a full-time, 40 hour per week position from 10:00 am to 7:00 pm, Monday through Friday. Additional hours may be required based on registration cycles. Employee may work at various County centers as needed.
Please complete each section of the application. A resume may be attached, however, it will not substitute for the completed application. In order to receive full credit for your experience, please ensure that you have included details of all relevant work experience on your application and have completed the Supplemental Questionnaire in its entirety. Incomplete applications will not be considered.