Job Title: Senior Data Scientist, Federal Employee Program
Location: Washington, DC
Career Band: BDB
Job ID #: 9516
The Data Scientist Analytics role has work across the following four areas:
• Understanding ecosystems, user behaviors, and long-term trends
• Evaluating and defining use cases for potential product ideas
• Identifying levers to help move key metrics
• Evaluating and defining metrics
• Building models of user behaviors for analysis or to power production systems
• Working in Hadoop and HIVE primarily, sometimes DB2
• Authoring pipelines via SQL and Spark or Python based ETL framework
• Building key data sets to empower operational and exploratory analysis
• Performing and automating analyses using statistical language R
• Designing and evaluating experiments monitoring key product metrics, understanding root causes of changes in metrics
• Building and analyzing dashboards and reports
• Influencing business partners through presentation of data-based recommendations
• Communicating of state of business, experiment results, etc. to internal and external partners
• Spreading best practices to analytics teams
• Proposing what to build in the next roadmap
This position is also subject to being “on call” for emergency situations requiring immediate resolution. Travel between all CareFirst locations may be required.
Required experience, abilities and skills:
• Master’s degree in Computer Science, Statistics, Operations Research, Mathematics or related field or equivalent.
• 5-7 years research or industry experience.
• Good background in machine learning using unsupervised and supervised methods.
• Proven track record of leveraging large amounts of data to solve real-world problems.
• Fluency in SQL or other programming languages. Some development experience in at least one scripting language (PHP, Python, Perl, etc.).
• Ability to initiate and drive projects to completion with minimal guidance
• The ability to communicate the results of analyses in a clear and effective manner.
• Master’s Degree in Mathematics or related discipline. Preferred experience with a statistical package such as R, MATLAB, SPSS, SAS, Stata, etc.
- Preferred experience with a Healthcare company.
• Experience with large data sets and distributed computing (Hive/Hadoop) a plus.
Note: The incumbent is required to immediately disclose any debarment, exclusion, or other event that makes him/her ineligible to perform work directly or indirectly on Federal health care programs.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to perform the essential duties and responsibilities of the position successfully. Requirements may be modified to accommodate individuals with disabilities.
The employee is primarily seated while performing the duties of the position. Occasional walking or standing is required. The hands are regularly used to write, type, key and handle or feel small controls and objects. The employee must frequently talk and hear. Weights of up to 25 pounds are occasionally lifted.
Department: Federal Employee Program Healthcare Analytics
CareFirst BlueCross BlueShield is an Equal Opportunity (EEO) employer. It is the policy of the Company to provide equal employment opportunities to all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran or disabled status, or genetic information.
Actual salary will be based on relevant job experience and work history.
Must be eligible to work in the U.S. without Sponsorship
Please visit our website to apply: www.carefirst.com/careers
Please apply before: 3/3/2017