ELEMENTARY YOUTH SUMMER CAMP- Arlington County
Salary: $7.25 – $18.78 Hourly, Job Type: Part-Time, Department of Parks and Recreation, Job Number: 7233-17G-DPR-EM
Employment Opportunities- Summer 2017
Please read this entire announcement before submitting your application: Opportunities for temporary summer employment with the Arlington County Department of Parks and Recreation include work as Camp Directors, Assistant Directors, and support staff in camp programs throughout the County. Training begins the last week of May 2017, and continues through June 2017, approximately 38 hours of training total (online, evenings, and some weekends). Camps begin June 26th and run through August 18th. We do not operate camp on July 4th or on Saturday and Sunday. The successful candidate will have good character and integrity, positive communication skills, reliable transportation, the ability to complete tasks as assigned and take initiative, ability to work successfully in a team environment, and comfortable participating with or supervising participants in a swimming pool environment (If applicable). Staff may be asked to be in the water with participants on swim trips and/or work with individuals with disabilities. This application is specific to the program area described. If you are interested in other camp program areas, you must apply for that position as well.
Arlington County is seeking staff for the Youth & Family Camp program. These Camps include the following camp types: Summer Expedition Summerfest Summerfest (Inclusion site): designed to work with campers with and without disabilities. Evening Mobile Park Programs: Evening park program at rotating park sites
Applications are being accepted for the following positions:
STUDENT ASSISTANT I/II – $7.25-$8.80/Hour-Responsible for assisting all leaders in the summer camp or program activities and operations. These individuals are either non-high school graduates (SA I) or high school graduates enrolled in post-high school level education programs who have not accumulated at least 3 months of relevant experience (SA II). Applicants must be at least 16 years old to be hired for licensed preschool camp. All other camps require the applicant be at least 15 years old. Applications for Student Assistant positions will only be considered from individuals who have previously volunteered in one or more of our summer camps.
RECREATION ASSISTANT I – $13.13/Hour- Responsible for assisting with the leading of recreation activities and behavior management of participants for a summer camp. Assist in camp or program operations. Minimum requirements: Completion of requirements for graduation from high school or GED equivalent plus three months experience in administering recreational programs. CPR and First Aid Certification is desirable for applicants hired at this level.
RECREATION ASSISTANT II – $13.97/Hour- Responsible for assisting in the planning, leading, and conducting of recreation activities for a camp, behavior management of participants, and assisting in the evaluations of the activities and the participants. Minimum requirements: Completion of requirements for graduation from high school or GED equivalent, plus six months experience in administering recreational programs or facility monitoring. Certification in CPR and First Aid is required for all applicants hired at this level.
RECREATION ASSISTANT III – $15.59/Hour- Responsible for planning, leading, and conducting recreation activities for a summer camp. Responsible for completing participant and program evaluations. Performs related supervisory and administrative duties. Minimum requirements: Completion of requirements for graduation from high school or GED equivalent, plus one year experience (equivalent of 4 summers) in administering recreation programs. Certification in CPR and First Aid is required for all applicants hired at this level.
RECREATION ASSISTANT IV – $18.78/Hour- Responsible for directing a summer camp with responsibility for all rooms in that program. Performs supervisory and administrative duties. Minimum requirements: Completion of the requirements for graduation from an accredited college or university with a degree in leisure or recreational studies, special education or a related field, plus one year experience (equivalent of 4 summers) in administrating recreation programs. Certification in CPR and First Aid is required for all applicants hired at this level. If you are hired as a Preschool Camp Director, you must be 21 years old at time of employment.
View full descriptions and APPLY HERE: Summer Camp Staff
Or review all jobs and apply Arlington Co Human Resources Dept website: www.arlingtonva.us/pers
Selection Criteria: Applicants may attach a resume in addition to completing the online application. Attaching a resume without completion of the application will be considered an incomplete application. Please review the minimum requirements listed above. Desirables:Comfortable participating with or supervising participants in a swimming pool environment as staff are expected to be in the water with participants during swimming field trips; and willingness to work with individuals with disabilities.If selected, all summer staff will be required to:
- Agree to a criminal background check.
- Provide negative TB results or submit to a TB screening.
- Candidates will be asked to provide two letters of reference from related work/school experience prior to an offer of employment. Letters of reference may be attached to this application. However, inclusion of letters of reference do not imply a candidate has been selected for the position.
- Attend all required trainings.
- Some positions require a valid motorized vehicle operator’s license and driving history record check.
- Some positions require First Aid/CPR certification.
- Be open to provide personal care as needed to campers (training provided).Employees must have reliable transportation.
- Work Hours: These positions vary in days and hours of work, from a few hours per week to a full forty (40) hours per week schedule.
Additional Information —
- Applications for any of the positions below will be accepted online only. Applications will be reviewed as they are received, so interested applicants should apply as soon as possible. Summer camp positions will remain open until filled. We hope to have all camp jobs filled by May 19, 2017. Applications received after that date will be considered only if there is need to consider other applicants. Please note interviews will be conducted on a continuous basis and applicants are encouraged to submit their applications as soon as possible. Written notification will be sent to those applicants who applied but were not hired, once all positions are filled. Generally, these letters are sent out in mid-July. For further information about the selection process or specific camp job duties: Email Yvana Cordova at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Arlington County Government employee benefits depend on whether a position is permanent, the number of hours worked, and the number of months the position is scheduled. Specific information on benefits and conditions of employment can be found on the Arlington County Human Resources Department website: http://www.arlingtonva.us/pers.