George Mason University – Program Support Specialist
The George Mason University Assistive Technology Initiative (ATI) is seeking a highly motivated and versatile individual for a full-time, Program Support Specialist position. George Mason University has a strong institutional commitment to the achievement of excellence and diversity among its faculty and staff, and strongly encourages candidates to apply who will enrich Mason’s academic and culturally inclusive environment.
Responsibilities: This position will support the ATI in its mission to ensure equivalent access to Mason programs and services for individuals with disabilities. Primary responsibilities will include the following:
- Assist ATI Manager with coordinating and providing assistive technology assessments and training on use of assistive technology to support individuals with disabilities in the Mason community;
- Assist ATI staff with coordination, development and delivery of technical assistance and training to faculty/staff on best practices in developing accessible instructional materials;
- Assist the Information Technology Accessibility Coordinator with testing Web sites and Web-based applications for compliance (i.e., Section 508, Web Content Accessibility Guidelines [WCAG] 2.0);
- Maintain/update office inventory and assistive technology equipment loan databases;
- Disseminate routine information to the other departments/units regardingATI services; and
- Maintain/update library assistive technology lab computer systems.
- Bachelor’s degree in special education, information technology, assistive technology, instructional technology, or a related field;
- Experience working with individuals with disabilities;
- Experience working with assistive technology (e.g., Freedom Scientific JAWS, Apple VoiceOver, Dragon NaturallySpeaking, Read and Write, etc.);
- Strong written and verbal communication skills/public speaking;
- Ability and willingness to learn new technologies quickly;
- Ability to multitask; and
- Ability to work within a team.
- Demonstrated experience providing direct services (i.e., assistive technology assessments, training, technical assistance) to individuals with disabilities in the postsecondary and/or employment arena (at least two years);
- Knowledge of disability laws governing services in higher education and employment;
- Knowledge of best practices in supporting individuals with disabilities in the classroom;
- Strong knowledge of Microsoft Office applications; and
- Experience collaborating with a diverse group of people.
For full consideration, applicants must apply for position number 02539z at http://jobs.gmu.edu/; complete and submit the online application; and upload a cover letter, resume, and a list of three professional references with contact information.
George Mason University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, committed to promoting inclusion and equity in its community. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.