Assistant Building Engineer Position
Crystal Gateway Condominium is a174 units, 20 story, high-rise condominium located in the Crystal City neighborhood of Arlington County. The Community is run by a volunteer Board of Directors, with an on-site General Manager and Chief Building Engineer to run the day to day operations.
- Full time, hourly position with potential for overtime
- Benefits include: medical, dental, and vision insurance and cell phone reimbursement
- Position Schedule: 5 days per week – Saturday, Sunday, Monday, and two additional weekdays
- Position Hours: 10 AM – 6 PM on weekdays; times on Saturday and Sunday negotiable
- Must be able to be on call 24 hours per day during various periods during the month
Essential Facility Maintenance Functions, Duties, and Responsibilities
- Performs general maintenance and repair work on building systems and equipment under the guidance of the Chief Engineer in accordance with company policies and procedures. General maintenance repairs include, but are not limited to: basic carpentry, dry wall installation and repair, painting, woodwork maintenance, plumbing and electrical repairs, light bulb and fluorescent tube replacement and other related building repairs or maintenance.
- Performs assigned preventive maintenance tasks, and under the direction of the Chief Engineer completes recurring maintenance and winterization checklists.
- Performs general maintenance and repair work in response to in to in-unit service requests from residents as assigned by the General Manager.
- Performs periodic inspections and testing of such items as smoke detectors and heat pumps.
- Repair and adjust building mechanical systems as needed.
- Monitor and inspect the work of contractors
- Reports missing light bulbs, building damage or vandalism, unusual or unsafe circumstances or conditions to the General Manager or Chief Building Engineer
- Assists with party room set-ups and tear downs.
- Assists in maintaining safe, organized, and clean shop facilities and working areas.
- Ensures that all chemicals, flammables, and hazardous materials are stored and labeled properly.
- Properly uses and maintains equipment and tools.
- Adheres to all Association safety and security policies.
- Assist in snow removal at the property as required.
- Operate within OSHA (Occupational Safety & Health Act) standards and WC Smith safety/material policies at all times.
- Update and record into daily maintenance logs all required building meter, temperature and system readings, as well as any other necessary information.
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with the building staff, tenants, and vendors.
- Complete owner requests timely and accurately.
- Maintain the required property uniform and assuring a professional appearance and attitude as being, courteous, helpful and neat at all times.
- Assume responsibility for after-hour emergencies (on-call) at the direction of the Chief Engineer.
- Perform other necessary duties as assigned by General Manager and/or Board of Directors
- Demonstrated working knowledge of basic maintenance and repair and the tools and equipment used in performing it.
- Knowledge of maintenance and repair tasks, tools and equipment that relate to the successful functioning of the building, specifically HVAC, water treatment programs, electrical systems, plumbing systems, energy management, and fire protection.
- Ability to work independently and manage multiple projects at a time.
- Must be able to speak, read, and write in English
- Must possess basic computer literacy (email, Microsoft Word, using the internet)
- Must be able to lift up to 50 pounds
- Must be comfortable using an 8 foot ladder
- Must be able to be on your feet the majority of the day
- Must be able to work Saturday and Sunday
How to Apply: Qualified applicants should apply by emailing Crystalgateway@verizon.net and include their Resume and Cover Letter.
The Cover Letter must include salary requirements and confirmation that you have ability to work every Saturday and Sunday.
Veterans encouraged to apply!