Job Title: Agent, FEHBP Full Service
Career Band: B
Job ID #: 8785
PURPOSE: The Federal Employees Health Benefit Program Full Service Agent develops and implements a pro-active strategy to retain and increase enrollment across all CareFirst product lines participating in the FEHBP within assigned agencies and related accounts. As the primary point of contact within assigned agencies, develops and maintains strategic relationships to gain access to individual federal employees and retirees; uses consultative skills and analysis of agency needs/service requirements to create opportunities to educate and influence selection of value-appropriate CareFirst products. Provides face-to-face assistance in the servicing of FEHBP subscribers regarding complex claim and enrollment issues, and acts as a recognized subject matter expert with total and absolute authority in representing CareFirst to assigned agencies. Since FEP and FEHBP HMO products represent approximately one fifth of all CareFirst business, our ability to maintain and increase the enrollment base of this arena positively affects the Service Charge incentive dollars and administrative cost reimbursement available to our Plans.
PRINCIPAL ACCOUNTABILITIES: Under the general direction of the Director of FEHBP Sales and Marketing, the accountabilities include, but are not limited to the following:
1. Relationship Management: Pro-actively engages with Health Benefit Officers, and other key contacts at assigned agencies and organizations, locally and abroad, to establish and maintain positive relations and access to individual federal employees and retirees in order to positively impact enrollment penetration of CareFirst products. Leverages aforementioned relationships and activities to realize strategic enrollment growth
2. Customer Focus-Growth/Retention Activities: Pro-actively develops, schedules, coordinates, and attends on-site activities including new hire orientation, in-service educational events, wellness fairs, and open enrollment at government agencies and related sites. Will participate in complex on-site interactions at FEHBP agencies, NARFE Chapter meetings, OPM, CareFirst, or the FEP Director’s Office either locally, nationally or abroad. Acts as a resource to internal staff. Proactively schedules and participates in on-site events at federal agencies and NARFE Chapter meetings. Utilizes tools and technology in the field to educate enrollees and potential enrollees on the products and services available online for self-service. Empowered with a high level of authority to address concerns such as timely filing requirements and claims adjustments, working in cooperation with the appropriate internal service staff. Answers complex benefit and procedural questions, and identifies trends in the field and can work in tandem with Division Business Analyst and Management to perform problem resolution.
3. Account Management: Develops and employs innovative marketing strategies by utilizing new and improved sales approaches, tools, and customer satisfaction surveys in order to increase and retain enrollment, as well as establish and maintain customer relationships in the federal marketplace. Counsel’s enrollees at FEHBP sites in a face-to-face environment, regarding specific benefit issues, contract language and benefit changes. Compares, discusses, and analyzes coverage offered by our competitors for the purpose of subscriber’s retention.
4. Open Enrollment Activities (External): Presents, promotes and communicates Open Season information regarding benefits and rates through various Open Season activities scheduled at federal agencies and NARFE Chapter meetings. Must maintain a high level of proficiency on benefit/policy changes for all products offered in the FEHBP by CareFirst.
5. Pre-Open Enrollment Strategic Planning/Coordination (internal): Develops and executes Open Season activities, including in-house educational sessions in order to communicate marketing strategies and goals, and to train the entire CareFirst FEHBP operations. Interacts with FEP Directors Office, Blue Cross Blue Shield Plans across the country, Health Benefit Officers at federal agencies, various levels of associates and management throughout the organization regarding CareFirst’s FEHBP products complaints and problems.
Required: Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent. Incumbent must have and maintain a valid Life and Health Insurance License(s) in the jurisdictions in which accounts are managed (MD, DC, VA) or must obtain a license within 90 days of hire. 5-7 years of experience in health insurance/managed care industry in the sales/marketing or direct customer servicing area(s). Ability to understand complex healthcare industry, learn and educate others on details of numerous healthcare products, including indemnity, PPO, HMO and ancillary product line.
Abilities/Skills: The position requires exceptional presentation skills, the ability to make persuasive presentations and the ability to demonstrate value by actively promoting product and services. Comfortable connecting with members and potential members in either one-one or group settings with a commitment to building customer relationships and brand loyalty. Ability to work both independently and as part of a team, with a complete dedication to customer value. Ability to set priorities and handle multiple projects concurrently, work well under pressure, and work independently. Must have excellent PC and iPad skills which include Microsoft Word, Excel, and ACT and must be easily adaptable to technological changes. Requires business attire and reliable means of transportation.
Preferred: Relevant College Degree in Business or other related education. Requires a complete knowledge of company policies, FEP and HMO procedures and practice in order to meet the needs of the subscribers. FEP and/or HMO customer service experience, sales, knowledge in FEP and/or HMO benefits and enrollment procedures. Knowledge of FEP and/or HMO DC and Maryland systems and Regional Provider Network system. Knowledgeable of CareFirst metropolitan DC and state of Maryland service area.
The Full Service Agent should be in good physical condition as the associate will be doing a great deal of walking, sitting, and standing along with kneeling, stooping, bending, and climbing steps in the course of performing the duties of this job. Strength to lift and carry fifty pounds of materials and supplies is necessary. Travel required among CareFirst sites and FEHBP agencies.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an associate to perform the essential duties and responsibilities of the position successfully. Requirements may be modified to accommodate individuals with disabilities.
The associate is primarily seated while performing the duties of the position. Occasional walking or standing is required. The hands are regularly used to write, type, key and handle or feel small controls and objects. The associate must frequently talk and hear. Weights of up to 25 pounds are occasionally lifted.
Department: FEHBP Sales & Relations
Note: The incumbent is required to immediately disclose any debarment, exclusion, or other event that makes him/her ineligible to perform work directly or indirectly on Federal health care programs.
CareFirst BlueCross BlueShield is an Equal Opportunity (EEO) employer. It is the policy of the Company to provide equal employment opportunities to all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran or disabled status, or genetic information.
Must be eligible to work in the U.S. without Sponsorship
Please visit our website to apply: www.carefirst.com/careers
Please apply before: August 18, 2016
Actual salary will be based on relevant job experience and work history.