Culpepper Garden is an award-winning, affordable, nonprofit retirement community located in Arlington County with 340 apartments for seniors located 4335 N Pershing Dr, Arlington, VA 22203 .
We are looking to hire in our Dietary department and have open positions as a COOK both full-time and part-time.
Weekend Cold Prep Cook- 10.30am- 7pm Assistant Cooks- 10.30am to 7pm or 3pm to 7pm
The Cook receives general supervision and direction from the Head Cook and will comply with established policies and operational procedures. In the absence of the Head Cook, the Cook will accept advice and instruction from the Certified Dietary Manager and/or the Food Service Director.
COOK Duties and Responsibilities:
- Reports for work in required uniform as scheduled by Supervisor.
- Must have a working knowledge of applicable sanitation codes and observes sanitation rules and regulations in preparation and storage of food and cleanliness of kitchen areas.
- Is responsible for the cleanliness, organization and sanitation of the refrigerators, freezers and storerooms.
- Assists in the supervision and guidance of dietary aides/wait staff, dishwashers and utility aides to ensure resident satisfaction and a quality dining experience for the residents. Consults with supervisor on the performance of dietary aides/wait staff, dishwashers and utility aides.
- Prepares meals based on the day’s production order sheet in the amounts indicated. Uses standardized recipes and procedures without substitution unless authorized by supervisor.
- Plans cooking schedules to have food ready on time but not too far in advance.
- Be able to safely operate kitchen utensils and equipment related to cooking and preparation.
- Sets up food in steam tables and delivers food to dining rooms and Nursing Facility as scheduled. Checks food temperatures to ensure compliance with health department standards.
- Reserves food for modified diets from regular preparation as necessary.
- Serves meals efficiently and cheerfully. Greets residents and serves meals based on standardized portion sizes or required portion size for special diets as prescribed on production sheet and/or diet cards. Honors special requests of residents by offering an appropriate alternative such as canned soup, sauteed/broiled chicken breast, baked potato, eggs or leftovers. Assists with special diet selection. Freshens up line and replenishes food per house standards.
- Assists and supervises catered and special events.
- Collects meal tickets for all guest and employee meals.
- Must be able to positively interact with residents, families, staff and others.
- Provides guidance to dietary aide/wait staff to ensure resident satisfaction and a quality dining experience for the residents.
- Ensures utility aide is performing tasks as assigned providing direction when needed.
- Consults with supervisor on utility aide performance.
- Must be able to lift 50 lbs. and to bend, crawl, stoop, push and lift in order to reach, and clean and deliver food as assigned.
- Properly puts away all leftovers. Cleans pots and pans, steam table, serving utensils, steam table pans and any kitchen equipment. Cleans the dining room, serving line, dish room, and kitchen after meals as assigned. Assists with closing down of kitchen to include ensuring dining room, serving line, dish room, storage rooms, and kitchen are clean; equipment turned off; doors, refrigerators, freezers, dry storage, and exit doors are locked and trash emptied.
- Performs cleaning tasks as assigned by Supervisor.
- Observes and protects residents’ rights including confidentiality, privacy and dignity.
- Attends in-service programs as required.
- Works a varied schedule to cover all shifts, including weekends and holidays as scheduled by Supv.
- Must be able to lift a minimum of 50 lbs. and to bend, crawl, stoop, push, and lift in order to deliver care and services as needed.
- Practices safety procedures and complies with established reporting of accidents.
- Performs any other related duties that may be assigned.
To Apply: please email your resume with subject line ARL COOK to Franziska Rodewald (Assistant Dining Services Director): email@example.com