Job Title: Scrum Master
Location: Union Plaza – Washington, DC
Career Band: Band B
Job ID #: 8735
PURPOSE: Leads a team of software engineers, Test Engineers and Business Analysts, guiding the team on how to use Agile/Scrum practices and values with the goal of getting the most out of self-organization.
Under the general direction of the FEP Program Manager the incumbent’s accountabilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
•Leads a team of software engineers, Test Engineers and Business Analysts, guiding the team on how to use Agile/Scrum practices and values with the goal of getting the most out of self-organization. Supports and guides the team to remove impediments by engaging the right stakeholders within the organization or partner organizations. Facilitates getting the work done by the scrum team, without assigning, or dictating the work. Facilitates discussion, decision making, and conflict resolution. Assists with internal and external communication and improves transparency. Provides all support to the scrum team using a servant leadership style whenever possible, and leads by example. Follows the Agile playbook and process at the FEPOC to support agile delivery. Facilitate release planning, sprint planning, daily stand ups, grooming, retrospectives, product demonstrations and other scrum ceremonies.
- Supports and educates the Product Owner, with respect to grooming and maintaining the product backlog. Work with Product owner and other supporting teams to enable seamless delivery. Provide input and champion Agile process improvement initiatives based on team/external feedback.
- Support culture change to improve delivery agility. Provide coaching to team members who are new to Scrum and Agile practices. Supporting Team building and Team development by utilizing the abilities and skills of individuals, and fostering a feedback culture.
Work on any related Project Management deliverables as assigned or needed to support project delivery. Work cooperatively with integrated team of FEPOC/ FEPDO/BCBSA Plan staff to successfully address any associated risks and issues.
This position is also subject to being “on call” for emergency situations requiring immediate resolution. Travel between all CareFirst locations may be required. This position is subject to a level 6C security requirement.
Required: This position requires a bachelor degree or equivalent, and a minimum 5 years of industry experience in IT; a minimum 2 years in project management and/or Scrum Master. Specific requirements include, but not limited to:
• Scrum Master certification (CSM, PSM I)
• Experience playing the Scrum Master role for at least one year for a software development team that was diligently applying Scrum principles, practices, and theory.
• Good skills and knowledge of servant leadership, facilitation, situational awareness, conflict resolution, continual improvement, empowerment, and increasing transparency
• Applicable knowledge of the technologies used by the team
• Second level Scrum Master Certification (PSM II, CSP)
• Experience playing the Scrum Master role for at least three years for a software development team.
• Experience being on multiple Scrum teams in a variety of different contexts (different team sizes, different organizations, different cultures, co-located vs. distributed, etc.)
• Track record of continued and recent education in Scrum, including training, conferences, user groups, self-study, etc.
• Knowledge of other approaches discussed in the agile space: XP, Kanban, Crystal, FDD, etc.
• Knowledge and/or experience with widely successful agile techniques: User Stories, ATDD, TDD, Continuous Integration, Continuous Testing, Pairing, Automated Testing, Agile Games
• Previous experience as a collaborative leader
• Excellent communication and mentoring skills
Note: The incumbent is required to immediately disclose any debarment, exclusion, or other event that makes him/her ineligible to perform work directly or indirectly on Federal health care programs.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to perform the essential duties and responsibilities of the position successfully. Requirements may be modified to accommodate individuals with disabilities.
The employee is primarily seated while performing the duties of the position. Occasional walking or standing is required. The hands are regularly used to write, type, key and handle or feel small controls and objects. The employee must frequently talk and hear. Weights of up to 25 pounds are occasionally lifted.
CareFirst BlueCross BlueShield is an Equal Opportunity (EEO) employer. It is the policy of the Company to provide equal employment opportunities to all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran or disabled status, or genetic information.
Must be eligible to work in the U.S. without Sponsorship
Actual salary will be based on relevant job experience and work history.
Please apply before: July 29, 2016