Under the supervision of the Practice Office Manager/Supervisor, the Medical Assistant assists the Physicians in the care and treatment of patients and is responsible for the maintenance of
examination rooms, medical/surgical supplies and equipment.
Involves no responsibility or authority for the direction of others.
NATURE AND SCOPE:
External contacts include a variety of third party payers, medical organizations, patients and other healthcare personnel
Prepares patients for medical appointments including obtaining and recording patients’ vital signs. Prepares instruments and equipment for use in examinations and/or medical/surgical procedures.
Assists Physicians with examinations and medical procedures. Clean and dress wounds, remove sutures as requested by a Physician. Observes patients and reports adverse reactions to medication or treatment to medical personnel in charge. Collect samples, taken by physician for testing, and deliver them to the laboratory. Cleans, disinfects, and sterilizes materials, instruments, equipment, rooms and supplies. Inventories and requisitions supplies. Reviews patient charts for instructions regarding prescriptions, tests, follow-up appointments and/or patient testing procedures. Schedules patients for follow-up testing procedures. Obtains pre-certification/authorization for surgical procedures, admissions, etc. Assist in locating and filing records. Retrieves lab reports, dictations, x-rays and correspondence. Files and maintains orderly records. Provides patient education and instruction as directed by the Physician. Makes decisions and judgments on phone calls, answering questions and advising patients with Physician guidelines. Instructs patient in preparation for procedures and in-home care, using instruction sheets when applicable. Answers telephone, takes messages, and gives routine information in accordance with established procedures. Maintains knowledge of and complies with established policies and procedures. Maintains work area in a neat and orderly manner. Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Knowledge of examination, diagnostic and treatment room procedures.
- Knowledge of Medical Terminology.
- Knowledgeable in the use of CPT and ICD-9 code reference books.
- Knowledge of common safety hazards and precautions to maintain a safe work environment.
- Demonstrated skill in oral and written communications as well as ability to speak clearly.
- Skill in assisting in a variety of treatments and medications as directed.
- Skill in taking vital signs.
- Skill in maintaining records and recording test results.
- Skill in establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with patients, medical staff, and the public.
- Ability to be detailed oriented, follow established priorities or procedures, and deliver quality customer service.
- Ability to use good judgment, make sound decisions and behave with tact, decorum and diplomacy.
- Ability to maintain quality control standards.
- Ability to react calmly and effectively in emergency situations.
- Ability to read, understand and respond to oral and written instructions.
Associate’s degree in Medical Technology, Nursing or related field or two (2) years related experience in a physician’s office, clinic and/or hospital or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Certification or Registration as a Medical Technology also required.
Note: This position description should not be construed to imply that these requirements are the exclusive standards of the position. Incumbents will follow any other instructions, and perform any other related duties, as may be required. The university has the right to revise this position description at any time. This position description is not be construed as a contract for employment.
How to Apply
- Send resume and cover letter via email to Angila Curvey –Angila.email@example.com. & Candice Daniel – Candice.firstname.lastname@example.org
- Kindly cc Marie Worell– email@example.com & firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com