Job Title: Manager, FEP Tech Program
Career Band: C
Job ID #: 8428
PURPOSE: Manages a complex program of strategic technology delivery initiatives that are aligned with specific Federal Employee Program Operations Center (FEPOC) technology products. Defines and executes the overall approach and strategy for delivering multi-release and multi-year technology delivery programs. Manages the integrated delivery of FEPOC technology products and services for highly visible initiatives and industry mandates and is accountable to the BCBSA Directors Office and BCBS Plans nationally. Manages multiple high-risk system development and IT integration initiatives, including initiatives involving external vendors, multiple business areas, and 39 BCBS Plans nationally. Organizes and directs strategic Customer summits with BCBS Plans to prototype new products, set direction for major initiatives, and plan major initiative milestone activities. Requires a strategic and comprehensive understanding of FEPOC products and services, BCBSA strategic and near-term objectives, and BCBS Plans nationally. Responsible for the development and successful execution of an integrated technology delivery plan to achieve business results on time and within budget. This position is both inward and outward facing to the 39 BCBSA Plans.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include, but are not limited to, the following:
Defines and executes the overall approach and strategy for delivering multi-release and multi-year technology delivery programs. Manages the full project management life cycle and software development life cycle for the implementation of highly complex, large scale, strategic technology delivery initiatives across FEPOC technology products and services. Leads the program and project staff and ensures the impacts and interdependencies between technology products and programs are identified and managed while ensuring initiatives meet the goals and objectives as approved by the executive leadership team of the BCBSA Directors Office and FEPOC. Provides both verbal and written communications regarding program issues, risks; status, direction, and recommendations for improvements to senior management at the BCBSA Director’s Office and FEPOC. Manages allocation of resources within the program(s) to meet work fluctuations and budget and time constraints in the delivery process.
Proactively identifies risks and opportunities of both business and technical plans; identifies Risk Mitigation Strategies and Contingency Plans for all identified Risks. Maintains the Program Level issue and risk matrix log. Provides a detailed plan of how the risk will be managed or eliminated. Provides a weekly Program status report with major risk factors when mitigation approach impacts the project timeline, budget, or objectives. Coordinates the Risk Management Plan and Risk Mitigation Strategy across all projects within the Program and manages the execution within the individual projects.
Responsible for collaboration with all Program and Project Managers to ensure execution and implementation of infrastructure strategy across all ongoing support and delivery initiatives.
Technology Product Development
Directly accountable for the development of specific FEPOC technology products in support of all SOWs and projects, as well as, being responsible for the end to end delivery of assigned initiatives. Product development will include the engagement of sponsors, documentation of future state requirements, development and selling of a Product technology vision/roadmap for the future, and aligning stakeholders on the path ahead. Roadmap development will require bringing industry best practice and appropriate new technology to the organization acquired through attending industry events including conferences, etc. Manage infrastructure technology program creating and executing an organization and staffing plan; defining development methodologies as required; managing multiple customers and vendors; and ensuring the program’s success. Works closely with customers and senior management to align, prioritize, and manage all projects and releases associated within the Infrastructure Delivery program to ensure alignment to the Infrastructure strategic vision and roadmap.
Integrated Project Management:
Manages an integrated delivery plan across all FEPOC technology products and services; infrastructure support teams; vendors; and external customers targeted at a specific implementation date. Exercises judgment based on broad experience to recognize and escalate risks before they become an issue and risk to the project delivery schedule. Evaluates complex situations accurately and identifies viable solutions that create successful outcomes for the customer. Resolves political, customer, resource, budgeting, change, and legal issues affecting the program.
Single point of contact for the BCBSA Director’s Office and BCBS Plans for a given technology delivery program. Responsible for negotiating delivery schedule, scope, budget, and changes requests. Is the escalation point for program issues and risks. Requires strong organizational savvy and judgment to manage the customer’s expectations and maintain a strong working relationship under difficult situations.
Manages the program budget across all projects included in the Infrastructure program, with overall budget accountability for up to $6-$8 million per year. Collaborates with the administration and various functional managers to ensure project budgets are properly estimated and controlled; provide overall financial recommendations, and develop controls and measurements to monitor progress. Maintains current statements of work for all contractors; tracks and approves contractor invoices in a timely manner.
Supervises Sr. Project Managers, and Project Managers; provides performance feedback and goal-setting; conducts annual performance assessments. Assists in skills development and training assessments for the Program staff. Makes recommendations on hiring, firing, advancement, promotional or any other change of status of direct and indirect reports.
Manages resource assignment and tracking to the project plan and project schedule in coordination with the line of FEP Program Managers, Project Sponsors, Business Owners, and customers.
Negotiate the performance of activities with team members and their managers in a matrix environment.
Coach to clarify assignments and deliverables; mentor others in SDLC project management practices; review quality of work and manage the integration of team members work.
Manage vendor relations and procurements related to the projects.
Required: Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Business, or Engineering or equivalent work experience required. 12+ years of IT and business experience in strategic planning, development, implementation, and maintenance of systems, preferably across multiple hardware and software platforms. Previous technical project management experience in a dynamic high-technology environment is a key to success in this position. Project Management certificate (PMP) from the Project Management Institute (PMI).
Out of the 12 years required, at least 8 years in a combination of the following:
- Progressive broad-based information systems Project Management experience (which could include consulting) with state-of-the-art hardware and software systems is desirable; knowledge and implementation experience in new computing architectures and networked computing structures.
- Experience in Program Management and execution of multiple related development projects simultaneously, particularly as Project Manager on systems development, with working knowledge of Systems Development Lifecycle and the Project Management Lifecycle.
Master’s degree in Business or Technology related field. Prior Health insurance industry exposure; specific experience with successful large-scale Infrastructure Program Management within a cross-functional environment while leveraging a strong technical experience background to influence and direct program and project resources as required; experience with management of security infrastructure projects a huge plus given the expected growth of this area in the FEPOC Infrastructure portfolio; experience with creation and execution of a Devops practice concept to ensure effective collaboration and communication to support an agile relationship between Development and IT Operations.
- Ability to lead Infrastructure program roadmap creation and execution, and identify and seize opportunities to influence the customer for new infrastructure related opportunities from the Infrastructure roadmap.
- Ability to lead dynamic, energized, and highly creative multidiscipline high-performance work teams in learning and applying new skills/techniques to respond to business needs.
- Ability to effectively adapt to rapidly changing technology and apply it to business needs.
- Ability to apply technical skills and experience to help influence technical direction of projects within program while working in collaboration with other key stakeholders.
- Considerable experience managing and delivering Business and IT centric projects using (where appropriate) leading-edge technology, and older legacy systems.
- Thorough knowledge and understanding of the company’s business practices and direction, business principles, and business processes, plus familiarity with the company’s products and resources.
- Considerable experience in human resource management skills, staff development.
- Solid teamwork and interpersonal skills, with the ability to communicate, persuade customers, employees, and management at all levels and thrive in a cross-functional environment.
- Excellent oral and written communications; an ability to present and discuss technical information in a way that establishes rapport, persuades others, and gains understanding.
- Strong management, business planning, and development skills.
- Exceptional program management skills and project management skills, effectively arranging resources and managing multiple small to large projects in a cross-functional environment.
- Ability to analyze project needs and determine resources needed to meet objectives.
- Ability to create original concepts and take heuristic approaches to testing/refining existing theories and to develop new system approaches to solve problems and seize opportunities to sustain business success.
- Strong analytical, problem-solving, and conceptual skills.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described below are representative of those that must be met by an associate to perform the essential duties and responsibilities of the position successfully. Requirements may be modified to accommodate individuals with disabilities. The associate is primarily seated while performing the duties of the position. Occasional walking or standing is required. The hands are regularly used to write, type, key and handle or feel small controls and objects. The employee must frequently talk and hear. Weights of up to 25 pounds are occasionally lifted.
Note: The incumbent is required to immediately disclose any debarment, exclusion, or other event that makes him/her ineligible to perform work directly or indirectly on Federal health care programs.
CareFirst BlueCross BlueShield is an Equal Opportunity (EEO) employer. It is the policy of the Company to provide equal employment opportunities to all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran or disabled status, or genetic information.
Must be eligible to work in the U.S. without Sponsorship
Please apply before: May 26, 2016
Actual salary will be based on relevant job experience and work history.