Washington Gas has an excellent opportunity ideal for upcoming graduates with a degree in engineering, science or environmental studies.
Environmental Specialist will develop, implement, and continuously improve cost-effective programs and procedures to ensure company operations comply with regulatory and corporate environmental requirements. The Specialist will support and serve as an internal environmental consultant to resolve specific questions and problems related to environmental issues. The specialist will be under the direction of the Manager or Senior Environment Team members.
Note: This role also includes participating in the Department’s on-call duty 24 hours/day, 7 days/week on a rotating basis to respond to environmental incidents and to implement appropriate responses as needed.
Tasks & Responsibilities:
• Determines environmental compliance requirements and best management practices in assigned program responsibility areas (may include participation in waste, water, construction, hazardous materials, and/or air programs), obtains and maintains permits, develops technical documentation, files government reports and maintains compliance records.
• Interacts with and supports business units with development of efficient compliance programs to ensure environmental requirements are met and implemented correctly.
• Reviews and provides environmental support to construction projects, including erosion and sediment control plans, wetland delineations, permitting, and technical solutions to resolve environmental issues.
• Collect environmental samples, perform field studies, and oversee contractors in the field.
• Researches and evaluates environmental regulations and standards, industry best practices and implements process improvements in compliance programs and tools as appropriate.
• Assists in the production of compliance program documents; i.e., procedures, alerts, reference guides, surveys, newsletter articles, etc.
• Performs environmental audits and inspections at job sites, plants, and/or facilities and ensures that corrective actions are implemented as needed.
• Develops and/or delivers environmental training/presentations to internal/external customers.
• Assists on special projects within the department at the direction of the environmental manager and/or senior environmental specialists. May act as a task manager or project manager on some assignments.
• Assists on investigations, monitoring and soil / groundwater remediation at former manufactured gas plant sites.
• Contributes to RFPs, evaluates bids, and manages work of contractors as needed.
Skills, Abilities & Knowledge:
• Bachelor’s degree in engineering, scientific or technical field plus 0-5 years of experience in environmental work. Bachelor’s degree in non-technical field requires a least six years of environmental compliance work experience.
• Demonstrates basic competence in required Skills and Abilities listed in position profile. May require more guidance and supervision on assigned tasks.
• Prior professional-level experience is not required for this position.
• Ability to interpret and learn federal, state and local environmental regulations, as well as industry standards
• Ability to identify, measure, and analyze environmental risks and assist in the development of appropriate programs, procedures and training to manage risks.
• Excellent writing skills, including the ability to organize and document detailed data, to contribute to or develop reports and presentations, and to prepare professional correspondence such as letters and email to regulatory agencies or internal customers.
• Basic computer skills and experience using Microsoft Office Suite. Proficiency in other software packages, including Outlook, HTML, Sharepoint, GIS, Autocad, and other scientific or business software is highly valued.
• Ability to verbally communicate basic environmental and scientific information concisely and effectively to diverse groups.
• Ability to establish strong working relationships with external and internal customers and regulatory agencies to effectively carry out work responsibilities.
• Must possess and maintain a valid driver’s license.
WGL policy prohibits employee and applicant discrimination and harassment. Specifically, our objective is to recruit, hire, train and promote the most qualified persons without regard to race, ethnicity, religion, gender, age, national origin, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, matriculation, physical or mental disabilities, political affiliation, or status as a protected veteran.
For full job description / to apply: