Bikes for the World- Arlington VA
Bikes for the World (BfW) seeks a part-time Operations Assistant to support its community-based collection events and partnerships, with the goal of expanding the volume of bicycles and spare parts collected and donated. The individual selected will work under the supervision of the Operations Manager to pick-up donated bikes from collections, and from institutional sources such as retailers and institutions with abandoned bikes, and deliver them to the BfW warehouse. With experience, s/he will also assume increasing responsibility mentoring volunteers at off-site collection events, and at the warehouse for activities related to preparing and shipping of bikes.
The part-time position is estimated to require 16-20 hours a week for someone who is able to dedicate approximately one weekday and one Saturday per week. The ability to comfortably drive the employee’s own truck or van and small trailer, as well as rental box trucks of varying size, is necessary. The employee will maintain a mileage log for use in a personal vehicle and be compensated using the standard IRS rate for all mileage driven between starting point (home or warehouse), pick-up, and drop-off.
The Operations Assistant will work closely with the Operations Manager to achieve several objectives: 1) Manage regular pickup of bikes from DC-area partner bike shops, multi-family buildings, and other institutions; 2) Streamline collection of bikes from neighborhood-based bike drives hosted and staffed by community volunteers; and 3) Successfully engage with collection leaders, BfW volunteers and staff to promote the organization’s mission to put used and unwanted bikes to their best and highest use with qualified local and international nonprofits and NGOs. The Operations Assistant will:
- In conjunction with the Director of Programs & Operations and Outreach Coordinator, plan and implement logistics for regular collection of bikes.
- This includes picking up bikes from bike shops, apartment/condo buildings, and other donors and then transporting them back to the BfW warehouse.
- A major component of this position with be driving a rental box truck to neighborhood-based collections and transporting bikes back to the BfW warehouse.
- The Operations Assistant will also be the ‘face’ of BfW at these events, and thus be comfortable working with volunteers, ensuring events stay on schedule, assisting with teardown at collections, and being responsible for fiduciary oversight on all donations made on-site.
- Be an enthusiastic and contributing member of the Bikes for the World team;
- Coordinate partnerships and event opportunities with affiliate organizations;
- Assist Operations Manager and Outreach Coordinator in recruiting and scheduling community-based collection events; and
- Provide general support for BfW’s other initiatives and projects as needed.
We are looking for someone who is a good communicator and problem-solver, who knows how to organize tasks and has a strong collaborative orientation. The position is best-suited for someone who is organized, capable of self-directing, can manage complex and changing logistics with aplomb, and is comfortable interacting with people of various backgrounds. The individual should be dedicated to the mission and goals of BfW and have the capacity to engender enthusiasm and energy for this project. Qualities we look for include:
- Experience driving large (26’, 15’) box trucks and smaller vehicle/trailer combinations in an urban setting.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the capacity to work well with people of different organizational backgrounds.
- Strong organizational and management skills.
- The ability to roll up his or her sleeves and get involved in all aspects of local operations, doing/managing multiple tasks large & small, planning, and working with little direct supervision.
- Ability to use email and cloud-based Google documents from one’s own computer or phone.
- Enthusiasm for bicycling and bicycling culture, and some demonstrated experience with bike maintenance and repair (personal or professional).
Expected number of hours per week is 16 (but could be as many as 20 depending on the need of the organization on a given day). Willingness and ability to work one week-day and one weekend day (typically a Saturday), is a necessity. Pay for this position is $12 per hour to start. The ideal start date is April 1. The position is based in the Bikes for the World warehouse in Pentagon City, Arlington VA, with our nearby office in Clarendon as an occasional ‘second’ base. The position will necessitate the use of a personal van or truck to make regularly scheduled pickups of bikes; ability to tow a small 6’ trailer with 2” ball hitch is also needed.
Bikes for the World is committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all persons regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, marital status, political affiliation, sexual orientation or gender identity, disability, sex, or age.
How to Apply
Interested individuals should send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org, explaining his or her interest and highlighting the skills that s/he can bring to the position. Please include “Operations Assistant ARL” in the subject line. No phone calls, please.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and the posting will remain live until the position is filled.
Bikes for the World assists poor people in Africa, Central America and the Philippines to become more productive through providing affordable bicycles for personal transport to work, school, health services, and recreation. Since 2005, it has donated more than 113,000 bicycles, some 12,000 in 2015 alone, and is the non-profit leader in transforming lives and communities around the globe through the power of reconditioned used bicycles.