AEEC is currently seeking a Database Administrator to support a federal customer in College Park, MD.
As a Database Administrator you will be part of a motivated team of experienced architects, developers, and system engineers responsible for the database design and implementation as part of a new cloud initiative at our federal customer site. The team is helping the customer build a next generation digital archival solution. The DBA will be the technology expert in implementing the database design keeping high performance and security as priorities. The DBA is responsible for the following tasks pertaining to program initiatives.
- Installation of software (PostgreSQL, DB2 and/or MySQL), patching & upgrades
- Implementing schema(s) designed by data architects (needs to create the corresponding scripts for reuse).
- Setting up users, profiles, privileges etc. as per security guidelines
The DBA is expected to work with development teams to understand functional needs and collaborate on the implementation of databases with data integrity, performance, and security as key considerations. Additionally the DBA shall work with the DevOps team to automate routine deployment tasks.
Note: While this position is only funded through October 31, 2016, this a 10 year overall contract with the federal agency to provide services and so may be extended well beyond the existing funding period.
Job duties include:
- Creating databases, configuring PostgreSQL parameters for optimal performance based upon data models.
- Analyzing application requirements; identifying potential bottlenecks with the queries.
- Setting up users, profiles, privileges etc. as per the security guidelines and performance tuning.
- Designing reviews and verifying the accuracy and validity of data captured. Executing ad hoc queries.
- Preparing all required documentation
Citizenship: US citizenship is required by the federal agency. In addition, all candidates MUST be able to pass a NACI background investigation.
- 4 – 5 years of experience in working with PostgreSQL
- Solid understanding of relational databases, data structures, data quality and cleansing strategies and experience working with large volumes of data.
- Solid experience in installing and setting-up databases from scratch in a traditional infrastructure environment
- Solid experience working with the Amazon Web Services Relational Data Service (RDS), including instance provisioning, CloudWatch monitoring and alerting, maintaining snapshots, as well as routine backup and recovery operations
- Solid experience with PostgreSQL CLI commands
- Solid experience with at least one PostgreSQL GUI tool (e.g. PGAdmin)
- Solid experience with database comparison tools
- Experience with data migration and bulk loading techniques
- Experience with taking database backups using various methods
- Experience in implementing OLTP and OLAP systems and using data query/modeling tools (i.e. Toad, Erwin, etc.)
- Excellent SQL optimization skills and performance tuning expertise
- Experience with Linux CLI and shell scripting
- Experience in hardening databases based on CIS benchmarks.
- ITIL Foundation in IT Service Management or ITIL Intermediate Level (preferred)
- Knowledge and experience in the areas of Data Warehousing, ETL, and Data Aggregation, and data access.
- Experience with “Big Data,” large scale data storage, processing, and analytics.
- 6 -7 years of experience at least 2 of the 3 products (PostgreSQL, MySQL, and DB2).
Physical Demands: While performing duties of the job, incumbent is occasionally required to stand, walk, sit, use hands and fingers, handle or feel objects, tools, or controls, reach with hands and arms, talk and hear. Employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust and focus.
To apply to this position, please click the following link: https://home2.eease.adp.com/recruit/?id=19064292 and reference referral from Arl Employment Center
AEEC is a professional services organization with a proven track record of providing IT, Engineering, Environmental, and Project Management services to the commercial and federal market since 1995. AEEC provides customers with highly trained, professional resources while building long lasting business relationships based upon integrity, resourcefulness, ingenuity, and fully delivering commitments. AEEC possesses the fundamental IT and engineering skills needed to objectively evaluate problems and develop technically sound, cost effective solutions. AEEC’s environmental expertise, developed over the last 15 years, has been refined to include green practices and technologies. With our IT capabilities, we are able to leverage AEEC green solutions across the entirety of an organization. AEEC is a minority, woman-owned business and is certified as a Minority Business Enterprise by the Virginia Minority Supplier Development Council.
AEEC Values: Our customers and their missions come first. We want to add value to every engagement. We will demonstrate integrity and responsiveness in all of our business practices. Teamwork and respect for everyone.
AEEC Vision: To be the best partner to our customers and a great place to work and grow.
AEEC Mission: Our mission is our customers’ success. We strive to responsively solve our customers’ needs. Our current skills are IT and Engineering services.
Benefits: AEEC offers competitive wages with benefits (Medical Insurance, Life Insurance, Short term/Long term disability dismemberment, dental insurance coverage, Flex Spending, 401K, and a 529 college savings plan). AEEC pays all premiums associated with these insurances at no cost to the employee. Family coverage is provided at a 25% paid contribution by AEEC. Medical and dental benefits start the first of the month following start of full time employment.